MultiChoice Nigeria Appoints Kemi Omotosho as New CEO

MultiChoice Nigeria has announced the appointment of Kemi Omotosho as its new Chief Executive Officer (CEO), effective January 2026, marking a major leadership transition at one of the country’s most influential media and entertainment companies.

Omotosho succeeds John Ugbe, who is set to retire after nearly 15 years at the helm of MultiChoice Nigeria, a period defined by subscriber growth, local content expansion, and the consolidation of platforms such as DStv and GOtv as household staples across the country.

Kemi Omotosho brings over two decades of experience spanning media, telecommunications, and digital services across Nigeria and Sub-Saharan Africa. Notably, she is not new to the MultiChoice ecosystem.

Her previous roles within the MultiChoice Group include:

  • Executive Head, Customer Value Management (Nigeria)
  • Group Executive Head, Customer Value Management (Rest of Africa)
  • Regional Director, Southern Africa, where she oversaw operations and full profit-and-loss responsibility across a seven-country portfolio

Nigeria remains MultiChoice Group’s largest and most strategic market in Africa, both in subscriber base and cultural influence. Omotosho’s appointment signals continuity, but also a renewed focus on customer engagement, innovation, and sustainable growth.

In her response to the announcement, Omotosho described the role as a privilege, emphasizing her commitment to:

  • Strengthening customer relationships
  • Championing local storytelling and Nigerian creators
  • Supporting the broader creative economy
  • Building a future-ready, resilient organization

John Ugbe’s retirement closes a significant chapter in MultiChoice Nigeria’s history. Under his leadership, the company expanded its local content slate, navigated regulatory and economic pressures, and maintained its dominance in a fast-evolving media landscape.

As Omotosho prepares to assume office in January 2026, attention will turn to how MultiChoice Nigeria adapts to changing viewer habits, rising content costs, and competition from global streaming platforms.

Canal+ increases stake in media giant MultiChoice to 40.8%

The French media group Canal+ has increased its stake in South African media giant MultiChoice to 40.83%. Their actions reveal a strong intent to gain control of Africa’s largest pay-TV company.

The company said in a statement on Thursday that the on- and off-market acquisitions had been disclosed to SA’s takeover regulation panel.

In February, Canal+’s stake in MultiChoice passed the 35% mark, which triggered a law that allowed it to present a mandatory offer to shareholders of MultiChoice.

Canal+ bought MultiChoice 3.5 million shares for an average of R116 per share. The newly bought shares are lower than the mandatory share offer of R125.

“The 3 million shares acquired would have cost R30 million more had they been purchased at the offer price, so Canal+ is saving a lot of money,” said Jimmy Moyaha, founder of investment firm Lebowa Capital.

It has increased its stake from 36.6% as of April 8, buying shares from April 12 to April 17 at 117.50 Rand, 115.99 Rand, 115.95 Rand, and 116 Rand per share. The offer at 125 rand per share is with the board of MultiChoice awaiting approval.

Scroll to Top